Statement from the Sisters of Francis and Associates regarding the Caravan from Central American countries:
We, the Sisters of St. Francis and Associates of Tiffin, Ohio, recognize the right of every person to live in safety with access to the basic necessities of life. We are watching with growing concern as thousands of persons from Central American countries are making their way through Mexico toward the southern border of the U.S. looking for a safe haven. The majority of these people left their own countries because of poverty, violence, and life threatening situations. In light of this, we call for the following:
1) No use of military forces at the border; no traumatizing of children and their parents;
2) No penalizing the countries of origin with threats to reduce aid;
3) Treatment that reflects respect for the dignity of each person;
4) Use of available U.S. resources to assist those who come to our border;
5) Allow those who have a case for asylum to follow the legal process without being held in detention.
Furthermore, we call for new immigration policies that respect the dignity of each person and honor the sacredness of family unity. In a spirit of solidarity with those who are vulnerable, we advocate for policies that reflect compassion, not cruelty, toward those who approach the United States with hope in their hearts.