Today is the Roman Catholic Feast of St. Francis of Assisi.
In the Diocese of Toledo, two religious communities — the Sisters of St. Francis of Sylvania, founded in 1916, and the Sisters of St. Francis of Tiffin, dating from 1867 — are dedicated to church work in community and to following the ways of the popular saint.
Francis of Assisi (1181-1226) was the son of a wealthy father, and before age 25 he had no intention of being a monk. He had a religious conversion, and slowly he became known for helping others and for his dedication to nature. He ended up founding a religious order, and others wanted to follow his ways.
St. Clare (1194-1253), founder of the Poor Clares religious order, was one. An Italian noblewoman who became a follower of Francis at age 18, she inspires sisters alongside Francis.
In line with their founder, Franciscans are known as the biggest proponents of Catholic ecology, but the Sisters of St. Francis in Tiffin, Ohio, take things to another level. They do this in simple, daily ways—for instance, by composting food, using energy efficient electronics and vehicles, and growing much of the produce they eat in their own gardens. But they also go to great lengths to educate others about the principles of Catholic ecology, its connection to the broader faith, and its critical importance today.
Mercy Willard Hospital Honors Sr. Diane Hay with
Annual Catherine McAuley Lifetime Commitment to Service Award
(Willard, OH – September 17, 2014) - The 16th Annual Catherine McAuley Lifetime Commitment to Service Award was presented to Sr. Diane Hay during a ceremony held at Mercy Willard Hospital on September 17, 2014 as part of Mercy Willard’s celebration of Mercy Week. A reception honoring Sr. Diane followed the ceremony. “Sr. Diane embodies all the traits the recipient of this award should have and is very deserving of being this year’s winner of the Catherine McAuley Lifetime Commitment to Service Award” said Lynn Detterman, president and CEO Mercy Willard Hospital. Sr. Diane was presented with a beautiful vase etched with the Mercy Willard logo and wooden base with an engraved plaque. Read the rest of this entry »
Sister Lisa Jean Hershiser, is the daughter of Irene (Steinmetz) Hershiser and the late Marvin L. Hershiser of St. Francis Xavier Parish, Willard, Ohio.
Sister Lisa served in Healthcare ministry as an LPN at Cedar Hill Care Center, Zanesville, Ohio, St. Francis Home, Tiffin, Ohio; and St. Bernadine Home, Fremont, Ohio.
At the present time Sister Lisa resides in Tiffin, Ohio where she is ministering as LPN/charge Nurse for the Sisters of Mercy at St. Bernadine Home, Fremont, Ohio.
For six weeks each summer, ten preschool-age children participate ...Read the rest of this entry »
Sister Margaret Slowick is the daughter of the late Mitchell and Ann (Daley) Slowick of St. Rose Parish, East Hartford, Connecticut.
August 25, 1989 was the date of her Profession.
Sister Margaret began her ministry as Pastoral Associate at Holy Family Parish in Booneville, Kentucky. She then served as a Math teacher at Heidelberg University in Tiffin Ohio and as Campus Minister at Heidelberg University and Tiffin University in Tiffin Ohio. Later she became the Toledo Diocesan Director of Campus Ministry in Toledo, Ohio.
Sister Margaret was then traveled to Cuernavaca, Mexico where she became the Director of the Cuernavaca Mission.
At the present time Sister Margaret resides in Cuernavaca, Mexico where she is the Director of the Cuernavaca Children’s Mission located in Cuernavaca, Mexico.
Sister Mary Kuhlman, also known as Sister Amata Kuhlman, is the daughter of the late Norbert and Dorothy (Lammers) Kuhlman of St. Holy Family Parish, New Cleveland, Ohio.
August 12, 1964 was the date of her Profession.
Sister Mary served in elementary education as a teacher at St. Mary’s School, Edgerton, Ohio; St. Bernard’s School, New Washington, Ohio; St. Sebastian School, Bismark, Ohio; Miller City-New Cleveland School, Miller City, Ohio; and St. Patrick’s School, Bryan, Ohio. In Toledo, Ohio was a member of a House of Prayer. Her experiences led her into parish ministry where she served as Pastoral Leader at St. Joseph Parish, Plymouth, Ohio, and as Pastoral Associate at St. Peter’s Parish, Upper Sandusky, Ohio; St. Mary’s Parish, Kirby, Ohio; and St. Thomas Moore Parish, Bowling Green, Ohio.
Sister Mary was then called by the Sisters of St. Francis to serve as a member of the leadership team for eight years. During four of those years she also served as Vicar.
At the present time Sister Mary resides in Tiffin, Ohio where she is the Director of Sisters in Shelter.